War Whoop Online

The School Newspaper of Seminole High School

War Whoop Online

War Whoop Online

Tennis gets last district preview in Monahans

The tennis team will compete in Monahans tomorrow against the Lobos and Fort Stockton and will host the district competition on March 11-12.

Senior Jenna Johnson said she is looking forward to competing in Monahans.

“I am excited to finally see my entire competition,” Johnson said. “I’ve played everyone in our district except Fort Stockton.”

Tennis Coach Rhonda Burns said playing in the Monahans tournament could determine how the players will do in district.

“We will be playing Fort Stockton, and we have not played them this year,” Burns said. “So playing both of them [Monahans and Fort Stockton] will be results to use toward the district tournament.”

With district right around the corner, Johnson prepares with high expectations.

“My goal is to be district champion,” Johnson said. “There’s always an advantage playing on your home court. You’ve got more pride.”

For senior Nicole Shortes the possibility of playing in district is uncertain since she is out with a knee injury.

“I hope I’m not out for more than a week,” Shortes said. “It makes me a little depressed because I love tennis, and it makes me sad just watching it.”

Burns said the team is improving.

“All the players are making strides right now,” Burns said. “They are all making good showings at the tournaments and meets. Keys to their success are hard work and determination.”

Results from the Feb. 26 matches versus Hobbs JV

Seminole 5, Hobbs 4

Women’s singles–Johnson fell 6-2, 4-6, 10-4; freshman Aracely Avila fell 6-0, 6-2.

Women’s doubles–seniors Aidee Avila and Alma Pinon won 8-5; seniors Cynthia Martinez and Barbara Segovia won 8-4.

Men’s singles–senior Ky Morris won 6-2, 6-4; junior Noah Maxwell won 6-2, 6-4; and senior Christian Mendoza fell 8-3.

Men’s doubles–Morris and Maxwell won 8-2, 8-1.

Mixed doubles–Mendoza and freshman Alicia Villarreal won 8-5.

Results from Feb. 26 match versus Levelland

Seminole 7, Levelland 6

Women’s singles–Johnson won 6-0, 6-1; Aracely Avila won 6-1, 6-4, 8-4.

Women’s doubles–Aidee Avila and Pinon won 8-3; Martinez and Segovia won 8-3 in first match and lost 8-3 in second match; Pinon and Villarreal won 8-5.

Men’s singles–Morris fell 8-3; Maxwell fell 6-1, 6-0.

Men’s doubles–Morris and Maxwell fell 8-1 in first match and won 8-2 in second match.

Mixed doubles–Mendoza and Villarreal fell 8-5; Mendoza and Pinon won 8-0.