War Whoop Online

The School Newspaper of Seminole High School

War Whoop Online

War Whoop Online

CREATIVE COMPETITION: Artists to travel to VASE contest

Delicate details–Sophomore Anna Harder leans in to take tiny strokes on her painting for VASE competition during fourth period on Jan. 12. Harder entered two pieces in the competition this year.

Student artists will compete in the Visual Art Scholastic Event tomorrow at Coronado High School in Lubbock.

Fifty-five students over 71 entries will compete. Art teacher Clarissa Autry said that one out of 10 will make the top 10% which advance to state, and one out of 100 at state will receive a Golden Seal, which is the top award.

“There are many rules, but there are three big rules that can make or break the artist with the judges,” Autry said. “The rules are simple: the piece has to be original, the maximum size is two by three, and the maximum weight of the piece is no more than 50 pounds.”

Not only is the art piece judged at competition, but also the artist takes part in an interview with the judges. Junior Cinthia Yanez Martinez qualified for state last year, so she knows the ropes. She doesn’t let the interview portion bother her.

“I worry more about the art piece itself,” Yanez Martinez said. “I am making a sculpture of a rib cage with needle along with a woman on a couch symbolizing the flesh. This piece is named Homebody, which makes me think of comfortability.”

Junior Cody Giesbrecht also qualified for state last year.

“I care more about the art, making it depend on how good I do in my own eyes,” Giesbrecht said. “I am making a painting of a 1965 Shelby Cobra.  I named this piece Thank You, Carol. I was inspired by the history behind this car.”

Senior David Guenther also has experience at state, qualifying with a self-portrait last year.

“I want to share the enjoyment from the piece to the judges as well,” Guenther said. “I am making a needle felt painting. It is a puppet coming out of the painting. The inspiration for this would be my own individuality and my love for floral design and making something as good as this piece stand out. 

Another past qualifier, sophomore Anna Harder will enter two pieces.

“I am making one painting and one sculpture,” Harder said. “The painting is a cat in a bed but showing a deeper meaning within the plot. The sculpture is a needle felt cat on a platform. It will have of the painting with plants and life, and the other side is on fire. My inspiration is just that I love cats.” 

State competition will be at San Marcos High School on April 26-27.