War Whoop Online

The School Newspaper of Seminole High School

War Whoop Online

War Whoop Online

UIL academic team takes sweepstakes

UIL academic team takes sweepstakes

The UIL academic team took the district championship on April 11 by over 150 points over Andrews.

Seminole had 597 points, Andrews 441, Greenwood 269, Pecos 218, Monahans 105, Fort Stockton 47.

The championship includes all academic events.

In one-act play, Macbeth advanced to bi-district with 34 points. Individual awards went to best performer junior Leah Martin, all-star cast junior Javen Gutierrez, honorable mention to sophomore Kamryn Leblanc and senior Ashlynne White. The SHS crew was named best technical crew, while sophomore Katelyn Alonzo was awarded outstanding technician.

The top three individuals and top teams advance to regionals.

In cross-examination debate, the team of juniors Owen Adam and Rachel Rempel took fourth.

In calculator applications, junior Geydis Cuesta Rodriguez took fifth.

In computer science, the team of senior Daniel Lapusan, senior Gavin Dickson, Rempel, and freshman Cooper Sales took second, while Lapusan took fifth individually.

In current issues and events, the tea of Beydoun, sophomore Tristan Goodwin, sophomore Noah Franco and junior Ethan Salazar took second, while Beydoun was first and Goodwin was fifth.

The journalism team of freshman Anaiah Beydoun, sophomore Melissa Gutierrez Tarango, junior Nayla Hernandez and senior Ingrid Lopez Jimenez was second overall with 110 points over five events.

In copy editing, Beydoun was first, Lopez Jimenez was fourth and Gutierrez Tarango took sixth.

In feature writing, Lopez Jimenez took third, Hernandez was fourth.

In headline writing, Lopez Jimenez took first, Gutierrez Tarango was third and Hernandez was fourth.

In news writing, Beydoun took first, while Gutierrez Tarango was fourth and Lopez Jimenez was sixth.

In number sense, the team of senior Eduardo Rodarte, sophomore Eva Thiessen, junior Jack Chen and senior Omar Gameros took first overall. Individually, Rodarte was first, Theissen was second, Chen was third, Gameros was fourth, Lapusan was fifth and senior Nicoli Wood was sixth.

In mathematics, the team of Dickson,  Rodarte, Chen, Gameros and Lapusan took first overall. Individually, Dickson was first, Rodarte was second, Chen took third, Gameros and Lapusan tied for fourth.

In ready writing senior Susana Friessen took third and freshman Mattie Nice was fourth.

In science, the team of Lapusan, Thiessen, Dickson and Cuesta Rodriguez took first, with Lapusan first individually, followed by Thiessen in third, Dickson in fourth and Cuesta Rodriguez in sixth. Lapusan took first in the chemistry portion of test.

The social studies team of Goodwin, Beydoun, junior Isabella Hare and Salazar took second overall. Goodwin was fouth individually and Beydoun was fifth.

The speech team of Lapusan, Owen, Rempel, Salazar, sophomore Joey Penner, junior Paula Lara Escribano, freshman Elijah Lapusan, sophomore Ryan Werdenberg, sophomore Marina Flores, sophomore Kobe Cabello, sophomore Violet Barkin Robertson took first as a team with 167 points over five events.

In informative speaking, Rempel took first, Salazar was second, and freshman Elijah Lapusan was fourth.

In Lincoln-Douglas debate, Lara Escribano took third, and Penner was fifth.

In persuasive speaking, D. Lapusan was second, Penner was third.

In poetry interpretation, D. Lapusan was first, Flores was second and Werdenberg was third.

In prose interpretation, Adam took first, Cabello was second, and Barkis Robertson was third.

In spelling and vocabulary, the team of Friessen, soph0more Mia Cowan and freshman Drason Connally took second overall.  Friessen was third individually followed by Cowan in sixth.

Regional qualifiers will compete at the Region I meet at Texas Tech University on April 26-27.