War Whoop Online

The School Newspaper of Seminole High School

War Whoop Online

War Whoop Online

IN PROFILE–Hines reaps rewards of 24-year career

For powerlifting Coach Lonnie Hines, coaching is second nature. He loves the challenges and the connections with athletes he has made in his career.

“I love the bonds I share with my athletes,” Hines said. “We build bonds that never fade.”

Coaching ran in the Hines’ family since his father was a coach in Miami and Silverton. Following his father’s footsteps, Hines has coached eight sports in his 24 years of coaching.

“We moved around a lot because of my dad,” Hines said. “I didn’t grow up in one place.”

While attending Oklahoma Panhandle State University in Goodwell, Okla., Hines got his first coaching experience as assistant coach to the women’s softball team. His first real hire was in in Sayre, Okla., where he initially coached football and baseball and later added basketball to his resume.

Although Hines is currently coaching the powerlifting season, he said coaching football is his preference.

“Football is my bread and butter,” Hines said. “I like all sports. I played football in college, so it’s usually the sport I gravitate toward.”

Powerlifting, although a team sport, focuses more on individual success.

“Powerlifting is a sport where the athletes count on themselves,” Hines said. “It’s just you and the bar. I like that aspect of the sport.”

With eight years of coaching powerlifting under his belt, Hines said it makes it easier if the athletes have drive.

“There are no limits with powerlifting,” Hines said. “You get to watch kids push down walls. They are continually setting new goals for themselves.”

Hines looks at hard work and faith for success.

“I tell my powerlifters to focus on the judges’ commands,” Hines said, “then to give God the glory.”

In addition to team and individual achievement, Hines said that keeping track of his former athletes is another reward.

“There’s nothing more special than having an athlete email you after about 15 years,” Hines said.