War Whoop Online

The School Newspaper of Seminole High School

War Whoop Online

War Whoop Online

MY VIEW: Awareness should be more than just a color

Pink out is a practice that takes place throughout the United States and other countries, but we have kind of turned it into a festival instead of a meaningful experience.

It is supposed to bring awareness to those battling breast cancer. Why don’t we bring awareness to the other cancers? For instance, October is also lung cancer awareness month which is shown with the color green, but no one seems to care about people with lung cancer. 

We had pink-out week where we had spirit days for camouflage, twins and pink day. I’ve had conversations with other students where the topic of spirit week comes up and no one knows the reason why we were dressing up.

I know that pink is a popular color, partially due to the Barbie movie, where pink plays a predominant part. However, cancer awareness should be more than just a color. It should be more of an effort to combat cancer through campaigns to help patients.

Having the spirit week seemed more like we were happy about cancer. I have even heard people say we are celebrating breast cancer. The only people celebrating breast cancer are the ones who have beaten it. 

Pink-out week should provide information on ways to prevent cancer, symptoms of cancer and ways to handle cancer.  We should truly be made aware.

We need to understand the importance of bringing awareness to challenges. If we made more of an effort to help beat cancer, then we could truly celebrate it.