War Whoop Online

The School Newspaper of Seminole High School

War Whoop Online

War Whoop Online

SKEWED VIEW–This New Year, I resolve to resolve more

New Year’s resolutions…

“I’m going to lose 60 pounds!”…“I’m going to stop smoking!”…“I’m going to eat healthier!”…and many more!

There’s only one thing wrong with that. They usually don’t last. I know that I’ve never made a New Year’s resolution that I’ve committed to. It could be because of my ability to procrastinate like no one’s business.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure there are many people in the world who have changed their lives with a New Year’s resolution. Others, however, may be doing it just to satisfy someone else.

Maybe they have heard someone else talk about his or her great plans for the New Year and start to feel insecure since they haven’t made plans yet. So, they make a huge resolution that they don’t even plan to stick to, and voila! It doesn’t last. For that matter, the resolution may not ever even be started.

Why do we have to wait for a new year to start fixing our lives? Why can’t we start changing our lives when we feel motivated? It seems a new year is the only time we aspire to make our lives better. My philosophy is to change myself for the better…tomorrow.

I’ve decided recently to make a New Year’s resolution better than any other resolution I’ve ever heard. I’m going to stick to it like glue. I will be in the elite group of “People Who Stick To Their New Year’s Resolutions” (or PWSTTNYR). You may not have heard of the PWSTTNYR because it’s so rare.

I’m not planning to lose 60 pounds. I don’t want to make an extensive work-out plan that I will never commit to. I’m not going to stop smoking–that would be pointless since I don’t smoke. My resolution is not about being healthier or cutting out caffeine–even though I should probably do both of those. I’m not going to start exercising more–something I should also try.

My New Year’s resolution is to have a new resolution each month. The list includes things like…1)Buy a tropical tree and don’t forget to water it 2) Learn two or more foreign languages and use them daily 3) Learn to ride a unicycle then ride it to school every day(for the environment, of course!) 4) Join a circus and practice not quitting 5) Climb an active volcano for extra exercise…just for starters.

By the end of the year, I will have fixed 12 things about myself and hopefully, I’ll be Wonder Woman (or quite probably lost somewhere). PWSTTNYR, here I come.