War Whoop Online

The School Newspaper of Seminole High School

War Whoop Online

War Whoop Online

CinemaJen–King’s Speech tops columnist’s list at Academy Awards

CinemaJen--King’s Speech tops columnist’s list at Academy Awards

Oscar-nominated movies are notorious for being bizarre, completely out-there films. So, why not watch most of them and see what all the buzz is about? I had to look past my personal biases and focus on what the Academy would think of the movies. Thus, I judged the movies not purely on their content, but also their music, acting, costuming and directing. I watched The King’s Speech, Black Swan, Inception, The Social Network and The Fighter since these were the ones all the critics were choosing.

Let’s start off with my least favorite movie, Black Swan. (I would NOT recommend this to anyone.) This movie was completely mind-boggling…and not in a good way. I think the overall plot could have been decent if the director had cut some of the creepy, crazy scenes out. Some of the images were thoroughly disturbing. I do have to say that the music, costuming and dancing was incredibly beautiful. In movies, music sets the scene and makes moments more powerful and heartfelt. The music in Black Swan was fitting with the beautifully choreographed ballet. The classical music meshed perfectly with the flowing, graceful dancing, and the techno, upbeat tunes reflected the intense scenes nicely. Natalie Portman plays a fantastic lead in this psychological thriller. Her acting alone should win her an Oscar. The cinematography, or the way the movie is directed, was awful. I found myself getting dizzy with the camera’s movement. Although I did not care for Black Swan, I can see how it was nominated for several Oscars because it was certainly something new to the silver screen.

I thought The Social Network would be much more than it actually was. There has been so much buzz about it, and I was sorely disappointed with its outcome. The story was interesting enough, but I cannot see how this movie was nominated for any Oscar, yet the Golden Globes have already chosen it as best picture. There is not an unoriginal, special or unique quality about it. Besides having created Facebook, which is definitely impressive, the story of Mark Zuckerberg played by Jesse Eisenberg, seems just the ordinary life of any other person. Nothing jumped out and grabbed me. The acting was good enough, the music was normal–not too much–and the cinematography was bearable, nothing out of the ordinary. Perhaps that is what makes it so interesting…an ordinary guy makes good.

Inception, featuring Leonardo DiCaprio was impressive. I loved everything about this movie. This mind-bending drama wowed me. Its story was captivating, it was very well-written and directed, had great acting and an open-interpretation ending. What’s not to love? If I tell any more, I’m afraid I would reveal spoilers. Take my word on it, you need to watch Inception. This movie will leave you feeling baffled and confused which is what makes it greatness.

I thought The Fighter would trigger interest with a mostly male population but was pleasantly surprised to find that I enjoyed it immensely. The Fighter, featuring a phenomenal cast of Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale and Amy Adams, is based on a true story of two brothers, Dicky Eklund and Micky Ward. The acting alone is perfection. The director was ingenious. His use of lighting, sounds and the location of the movie made everything so real. I was swept into this movie which is not solely about boxing. Aside from the offensive language, The Fighter is sure to please even the most skeptic viewers.

My overall favorite movie of the five was without a doubt, The King’s Speech. Everything about this movie was spectacular–the acting, costuming, lighting, location and cinematography. The King’s Speech is a touching, motivational film based on the true story of King George VI, played by Colin Firth, and the troubles he faces living with a speech impediment. Firth is brilliant in this movie. His portrayal of King George VI is impeccable. It was believable that he suffered from a speech impediment. I cannot say enough to express how much I enjoyed this movie. Helena Bohnam Carter adds her superb acting to this film as well.

My picks–Best Actor Colin Firth, Best Actress Natalie Portman, Best Supporting Actor Christian Bale, Best Motion Picture The King’s Speech, Best Screenplay–Inception and Best Cinematography–The Fighter.