War Whoop Online

The School Newspaper of Seminole High School

War Whoop Online

War Whoop Online

Seniors need to know procedures for future

Seniors planning to attend college will need to take the SAT or ACT, apply for financial aid and look for scholarships.

“The main thing you need to do is take the SAT or ACT,” Career and Guidance Counselor Kim Dierschke said. “If you have not registered, you need to do that now.”

Students who have registered for the SAT will need a photo ID, two number two pencils, a graphing calculator and admission ticket.

“The next SAT is Nov. 6,” Dierschke said. “In order to go to that one, you must have already signed up.”

Schedules of future SAT can be found at www.collegeboard.com. Schedules of future ACT can be found at www.act.org. Students can also register for the tests on these sites.

Seniors who plan to go to a Texas college will need to complete the application on www.applytexas.org. Seniors who plan to attend college in another state will need to apply on the college’s website under admission requirements. Students will also need to request a transcript from the high school as well as Odessa College if they have dual credits. Students who plan to apply for scholarships need to be aware of deadlines.

“I plan on getting scholarships,” senior Nicole Shortes said. “I do not want to put all the pressure on my parents. I have already started applying.”

Seniors are allowed one college day per year. Students going on a college day need to get a form from the counseling office, get it signed by an administrator and then turn it in before the travel date.

“Seniors are encouraged to go on a college day,” Dierschke said. “Please visit a campus this fall.”

Parents and students can apply for financial aid at www.fafsa.ed.gov beginning Jan. 1, 2011. Parents and students will need their 2010 income tax returns depending upon who claimed the claimed the students as dependents.

“Financial aid is processed on a first-come, first-serve basis at colleges,” Dierschke said. “You need to do it as soon as you can.”

Before filling out FAFSA, gather required documents. FAFSA applications ask questions about finances and school plans. Students can view results online. Check the status of applications and make needed corrections. The SHS code is 446440.