War Whoop Online

The School Newspaper of Seminole High School

War Whoop Online

War Whoop Online

BRAIN GAMES: District contest approaches for UIL academics

The pressure is on as only 10 school days remain for students to prepare for the UIL district meet which begins March 28 in Monahans.

For UIL academic newcomer senior Bradley Melton, district will be a new experience.

“I was going to do UIL last year, but didn’t sign up,” Melton said. “I do social studies because I’m good at remembering facts. During practice meets, I just want to place, but overall I want to go to state.”

UIL Coordinator John Carl said the competition will be tough.

“We’ve got people who can compete and do well,” Carl said. “Andrews had a lot to compete, and they’ve got potential. If we practice, we will be prepared.”

For the several of the teams are defending district championships like the journalism team.

Sophomore writer Crystal Fehr is hopeful she will place at district and has set goals for herself.

“I never thought I was that good at writing, but Ms. Williamson said I was,” Fehr said. “I tried it out, and I did well. I hope to advance to regionals.”

Most of the district competition has been at a neutral Midland College site for the past several years.

“District will be a new experience,” journalism sponsor  Susan Williamson said. “There is no way of predicting the outcome. I am confident my people will go to regionals.”

The one-act play competition will finish the district contests the following week.

“In one-act, you only have one shot,” Director Josh Harriman said. “I want to present the best show possible and, knock on wood, go to state.”

One-act members rehearse several times a week and according to Harriman, this makes the cast mesh together.

“The ensemble cast is close,” Harriman said. “They’ve  come together better than any other cast.”

The competing groups start off the point totals with 16 points courtesy of the second place debate team of junior Haylee Dodson and senior Reed Chappell who have already competed in district cross-examination debate as they prepare to go to state during spring break.