War Whoop Online

The School Newspaper of Seminole High School

War Whoop Online

War Whoop Online

Day of love can add stress and pressure

While sophomore Stacy Loewen’s boyfriend looked for the right gift and made plans to make the day special, what he didn’t know was that she really only wanted to be able to see him on Valentine’s Day.

“I think it’s a fun day, but it puts a lot of pressure on the boy,” Loewen said. “Valentine’s Day is viewed as a holiday for the girl, so it’s his job to make it perfect.”

Valentine’s Day might be viewed as a romantic holiday for couples, but senior Jarrett Everett will not be following tradition this year.

“I used to spend tons of money because you’re continually trying to do better than you did last year,” Everett said. “It gets very expensive. This year I won’t since I’m single.”

Instead of spending the day with someone else, Everitt made other plans.

“I’ll probably buy myself some dinner,” Everett said. “Valentine’s Day is just a way to spend money.”

Senior Nate Maxwell said Valentine’s Day is stressful for guys.

“Valentine’s Day puts pressure on the boyfriend of the relationship,” Maxwell said. “I think the boy shouldn’t have to spend a lot of money as long as the gift is from the heart.”

For junior Zach Mendoza the day is “a made up holiday, but it still has a lot of meaning.”

“You shouldn’t be afraid to show your love for someone,” Mendoza said. “If it takes a special holiday to do that, then that’s okay.”

Mendoza said getting gifts for a Valentine’s is not as special as being able to see a significant other.

“All girls want to receive gifts for Valentine’s Day,” Mendoza said, “but I think words are more important than chocolate or flowers.”

Senior Justina Fehr said guys have a lot of stress put on them to impress girlfriends.

“If he messes up Valentine’s Day, there goes that girlfriend,” Fehr said. “I’m not that high-maintenance; flowers are fine with me.”

For Loewen, Valentine’s Day does not require major spending.

“I would just rather see my boyfriend than him spend a lot of money on me,” Loewen said. “I like the simple things.”

View Comments (1)