War Whoop Online

The School Newspaper of Seminole High School

War Whoop Online

War Whoop Online

Writer looks inside for season reason

When I think back on all my Christmas memories, I am flooded by an abundant amount of joy. Christmas has always been a delight for me. Now that I am getting older, I have learned to appreciate Christmas more.

Christmas is not just about getting presents, but rather about spending time with precious people, my family. I never realized how important family was until now. I cherish the memories I’ve made with my family. I love the traditions my family has. Every Christmas morning, I cannot wait to have my house filled with family ready to eat the annual Christmas omelette.

The joy of spending time with extended families one doesn’t normally get to see is not exclusive to my family.

“I wish I could stay with my family for weeks because it is fun,” senior Savanna Winn said.

Everyone is getting older. My sisters are old to me now, old enough to have husbands and families. I find it kind of bittersweet that my family is continually changing. It is not just the three sisters anymore. Instead, I have my sisters’ significant others sitting around the Christmas tree with me. I find myself shopping for men other than my father, and the concept is new to me.

Family plays a vital role in holiday happiness.

“I would love to spend Christmas with all my family,” freshman Trevor Greenfield said. “They are really fun to be around.”

The Christmas season should bring out the best of us. Lately, I find myself becoming more like Scrooge and less like myself. I need to embrace the Christmas spirit and celebrate the birth of Jesus. After all, Jesus’s birth is the reason my family and I celebrate Christmas.

It seems that Christmas has become materialistic. People my age don’t seem to celebrate for the right reasons. Selfishness has impaired the true meaning of Christmas. I feel like I’m being pushed into the materialistic world that Christmas has become.

Christmas seems to rush by.

“I wish I could have more time to enjoy the Christmas spirit,” speech teacher Danny Stottlemyre said.

Christmas brings joy, laughter and contentment to my heart. As I look around, I can see how the world has viewed Christmas. I compare it to my perception. I do not see eye-to-eye with the world’s ideas of Christmas. Christmas to me is about celebrating the birth of my savior and spending time in fellowship with my family. It is much more than just opening presents, and I am going to try and get back to the way Christmas should be for me.