War Whoop Online

The School Newspaper of Seminole High School

War Whoop Online

War Whoop Online

Google-plus could be Facebook’s biggest nightmare

It has been said that Google-plus will be the “Facebook Killer”. I have tried out the new G+, and I see a lot of potential to be just that, even though Facebook is so engrained into our culture, we’ve even made it a verb (I just Facebooked him, I’m going to Facebook that, etc.).

G+ was launched in late June. It was initially an “invite-only” social network due to testing purposes. The day after its release, the users were allowed to invite friends who were 18 or older. The network became such a hit that day that it was suspended for a short time due to the demand of requested accounts.

G+ seems to have taken every social network and combined them. It has Video Chat, Messenger, Social Circles, Hangouts, Sparks and +1 buttons.

The Video Chat feature is just like Skype. It lets you have a video conversation with any of your friends.

Messenger is kind of like Facebook messenger. You can have a one-on-one conversation or a group conversation.

The Social Circles feature may be the greatest idea that anyone has ever come up with. Thanks to the father of G+, Paul Adams, you can share a post with your friends, but not with your family or vise-versa.

Senior Zach Mendoza uses G+ and said he likes social circles because he can say something to his friends and his mom cannot view it.

The Hangouts feature brings spontaneity to the web. It lets you bring up to nine people into a video chat. It was meant to let you hang out with your friends as you see them, kind of like you would in public.

The Sparks feature help you find things you’re interested in. Sparks helps you keep up with the latest news in your chosen categories.

The +1 button feature is just like the “like” button on Facebook, but it can be used all over the web. If you hit the +1 button on searches, it will remember that you’re interested in those topics.

G+ may not be a Facebook killer yet, but Myspace said the same thing about Facebook, and who actually goes to Myspace anymore? G+ has the potential to be a top social network very soon.