War Whoop Online

The School Newspaper of Seminole High School

War Whoop Online

War Whoop Online

Inexperience plagues Maidens

Volleyball hosts Shallowater tomorrow
Getting by– Sophomore hitter Allison Lacy tries to get the ball past Levelland blockers during the second set on Sept. 12. The Maidens won the second set, 25-12, but lost the match in four sets.

The Maiden volleyball team has a record of 7-15 after falling to Levelland in four sets on Tuesday.

With only two returning from last year’s team, the Maidens have struggled to seal wins in preseason.

“To get over the hump, everyone on the team needs to clean up a few of their individual errors,” Coach Bailey Faught said, “so as a team we are giving less points to the opposing side. We have lost several games by 5 or less and that goes to having silly errors that we have control over like missed serves for example.”

Senior outside hitter Channing Howard said the team has lots of energy.

“Our weaknesses are we only have three seniors, and we have a young team,” Howard said. “They are kind of anxious since they’ve never played on a varsity team.”

Faught said they are working on hitting and being strong and aggressive during net play.

“Right now our weakness is in the front line and hitting the ball,” Faught said. “We are not as strong as we need to be in this area.”

Faught said the team’s strengths are easily the back row on defense. 

“I have a great defensive specialists in Chloe Doerksen and Channing Howard and then our libero Andraya Armendariz,” Faught said. “They don’t let much hit the ground. We also have successful serve receive.”

Armendariz, a senior, said the team has trouble finishing.

“Once someone stops talking we usually all crumble and don’t flow as a team.” Armendariz said. “I try to encourage all the girls and talk to them, telling them as a senior I make mistakes, but we can work on getting the next point in the game.”

Faught said the district is the tough one.

“Last year it came down to the last week of games to decide seeding,” Faught said. “As of right now, I believe that Monahans, the defending district champs, will be the toughest.”

The Maidens will host Shallowater on Sept. 19, and district play will begin on Sept. 23.