War Whoop Online

The School Newspaper of Seminole High School

War Whoop Online

War Whoop Online

Everything old is new again as different decades make re-emergence

Saturday nigh fever--Junior Nicoli Wood gets into his disco vibe for the homecoming dance on Sept. 9. The homecoming theme was a throwback to the disco era.
Saturday nigh fever–Junior Nicoli Wood gets into his disco vibe for the homecoming dance on Sept. 9. The homecoming theme was a throwback to the disco era.

From an 80’s band at the teachers convocation to a 70’s theme homecoming to an 80’s band at Experience Seminole concert, nostalgia is back. 

“We have a retro homecoming theme because it’s a trend this year,” senior student body President Nevaeh Alvarado said. “Every officer likes the idea of it, and it is also the theme of the Texas Association of Student Councils.”

The Chamber of Commerce took several Seminole events and combined them with homecoming to form Experience Seminole. 

“There were actually multiple factors that led to the changes in the two events, but simply put, we believe it makes good sense,” Chamber of Commerce President Shawntay Pettyjohn said. “Our first goal was not only to continue to celebrate our agriculture and petroleum industries well, but also to add to that and include a more all-encompassing celebration of Seminole and its history. Secondly, who better to incorporate in a celebration of Seminole than our ex-graduates? As SHS alumni come back and celebrate as they have in the past, we have provided these additional activities for them to participate in.”

Experience Seminole featured a free concert by Le Freak. 

“This band performs songs from the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s but focuses on disco hits,” Pettyjohn said. “I have seen them several times in person, and they are a really good time. I felt like they would really appeal to our exes in attendance, but every age will have a great time.”

The summer was filled with nostalgic movies and remakes refreshing interest in Barbie and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles among others. The remake of childhood movies has become a trend which stretched to live-action versions like The Little Mermaid and Mulan.  

“I really like the Mulan remake,” senior Mickaela Rocha said. “They portrayed the culture well, and it had an overall good theme and dialogue to add.”

Clothing trends are also borrowed from another time. Converse sneakers and flare-legged pants have made a comeback. Junior Sadee Dyck liked the return of the mom jean.

“I think they’re very trendy,” Dyck said. “They’re also easy to style.”

Students even liked throw-back music. For instance, students could sing along with Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline” in the stands. Sophomore Audiel Sanchez said he liked oldies.

“I prefer older music,” Sanchez said. “They don’t cuss as much. My favorite oldies song is ‘Have you ever seen the rain’ by Creedence Clearwater Revival.” 

The homecoming revival, The Great Comeback, the reunion  of all former senior classes, was the epitome of nostalgia. 1976 graduate Delia Grisham said she loved everything about going to Seminole High School. 

“I loved the friendships and the teachers,” Grisham said. “They were always supportive.”